Thursday 31 July 2014

Getting things finished - step two

Having made my not-so-small list of unfinished projects, I've then subdivided each project into the various parts needed to complete it. Each project has the same basic steps, although these vary slightly depending on whether the project is paper or digital and how much I've already done.

Here are the steps:
1 - choose (and print) photos
2 - sort memorabilia/ephemera
3 - get album and page protectors together/set up folders on computer if digital
4 - collate any products bought specifically for that project (more on this later)
5 - sort photos and ephemera into topics
6 - get scrapping!
7 - title page, closing page and check the album tells the whole story

And how they apply to my America albums:
1-6 basically done, apart from 2 pages which I really don't like (and never have).
7 - not really. There is no end page, it just suddenly changes to another completely unrelated topic.  There's also no story - nowhere in the album have I explained why we were in America and where my parents lived. I'm not really surprised by this, as they were my first ever scrapbooks and journalling wasn't as big then (certainly not for me anyway, how much was everyone else writing in 2003?).

So that means I need some new pages, and some new photos. I've ordered a couple of prints, and my mum is bringing some with her when she visits next week. They will allow me to add two additional pages to tell the story.

So I end up with a to do list of:
  • redo 2 pages
  • end page
  • 2 story pages
  • rearrange abums and take out other layouts
I've already done the last part, and I did the end page yesterday. I used this idea from Kelly Purkey, and made a map of the places I visited during the two years.
Washi tape from Whimsy Designs
Tags from October Afternoon Travel Girl Miscellany Pack
Dymo LetraSet printing
Rest - too old to know!
I'm quite pleased with this page, although I wish I'd made the map bigger as some of the smaller states (like the one we lived in!) were a bit fiddly. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to show you the two redone pages, and then the end will be clearly in sight!

1 comment: